General Terms and Conditions of Rental
1. The renter undertakes to treat the vehicle appropriately, with due care and attention, to observe all the regulations, technical rules which apply to its use and to properly secure the vehicle.
1. We may require a credit card to secure a booking during the high season due to limited car availability. In addition, we may ask you to leave us a fully refundable cash deposit on collection of your hired vehicle if you are not in possesion of a credit card.
2. Credit card has to be on the name of the main or any of the additional drivers.
3. Reservations are binding only for price-groups, not for vehicle makes or models. If the renter has not collected the vehicle in the agreed due time, there shall no longer be a binding reservation.
4. A booking may be cancelled before the rental begins. In the event of cancellation, the payment in advance (known as the deposit) already made towards the rental shall not be paid back. In the event that the booked vehicle is not collected or not collected at the agreed time the rental charge already paid shall be withheld in full.
Documents to be presented when collecting the vehicle, authorized drivers
1. When the vehicle is handed over the renter must present a domestically valid driving license necessary for driving the vehicle and a valid means of payment. Furthermore, restrictions regarding age (drivers under the age of 25 or over 70) and/or length of time for which a driving license must have been held will apply.
1. The rental charge comprises basic rental charge, charges for extra services and any location surcharges. The charges for extra services are particularly one-way charges, the costs of filling the vehicle and of fuel, service charges, accessories/extras such as e.g. child seat, navigation system etc., delivery and collection costs.
2. For deliveries and collections, the delivery and collection charges agreed for this shall be charged plus the cost of filling the vehicle and of fuel in accordance with the price list applicable at the time of rental.
Due date, payment terms, security (deposit)
1. The rental charge must, as a matter of company policy, be paid in full for the agreed rental period, i.e. if the vehicle is collected late or returned early there shall be no refund. The rental charge shall be due at the beginning of the rental period.
2. If the renter is in default of payment of the rental fee the lessor shall, even without prior warning, be entitled to terminate the lease agreement without notice.
1. Our insurance holds a NO EXCESS in case of the accident not being renter’s fault.
2. The insurance will become null and void if a saloon car is driven on unmade roads. Only 4x4’s are covered for such use.
3. The rental vehicles are not allowed to be taken to the northern occupied areas of Cyprus. If taken to the north, insurance cover is null and void.
4. Please be aware if an accident is caused due to your negligence i.e. your fault, you are responsible to pay the small written liability amount depending on the driver’s age.
5. The excess to be paid by the renter, per claim, shall be determined by the rental contract.
6. The vehicle may be driven and used only by the drivers named in the rental contract. If the vehicle is driven by persons other than the above-named persons all insurances become null and void.
7. The vehicle may be used only on public roads, must not be insured for driving school practice. The vehicle may not be used for:
• Motor sport purposes, in particular driving events where the important thing is to achieve maximum speeds, or for any associated practice drives
• Vehicle tests or for safety driving training
• The commercial transportation of persons
• Renting to sub-renters
• Transporting easily inflammable, toxic or other hazardous substances
8. In case of an accident the renter would pay only the excess amount determined in the contract, providing the police and the insurance company are contacted and their report has been issued.
10. The renter is obliged to properly secure any goods carried. Any damage to the vehicle through such action is the total responsibility of the renter.
11. All insurance cover agreed as part of the rental contract lapses, in particular, if an unauthorized driver uses the vehicle, if the driver of the vehicle does not have the required driver’s license at the time of the event giving rise to the claim.
12. Further insurance options are available for drivers depending on driving experience and for young drivers under 25 years of age or senior drivers over 70 years of age. On acceptance of your booking we will forward to you our insurance options.
Accidents, theft, obligation to notify
1. After an accident, theft, fire, damage by wild animals or other damage, the renter must immediately notify the police and the insurance company, summon them and immediately notify the lessor of the damage. This applies also to minor damage and accidents, for which the driver is responsible without third parties being involved. Should the police or the insurance company refuse to record the accident, the renter must provide the lessor with evidence of this.
2. In the event of loss or damage the renter is obliged to notify the lessor in writing immediately of all the details.
1. Our fuel policy is very simple and fair. We do not supply a full tank and ask for an inflated fuel price. You may request an amount of fuel to suit you which will be paid for at pump price. We recommend half a tank of fuel for mutual convenience. If fuel amount is not requested we usually supply half a tank.
1. The lessor does not accept any liability whatsoever for property left in the rental vehicle upon its return.
2. In any case, neither ABC Car Rental nor its officers, directors, employees will be liable to the contracting party for any amounts nor for any actions, law suits or claims related to any direct, indirect, consequential, punitive damages (such as loss of business, loss of profit) arising out of or in connection with the rental or the use of any vehicle whether the action is based on contract or in tort. You will indemnify and hold ABC Car Rental harmless from all claims, liabilities, damages, losses or expenses arising out of the rental and/or the use of the vehicle.
1. In the event of damage to the vehicle, loss of the vehicle or breach of the rental contract, the renter shall be liable, in principle, in accordance with the general rules governing liability. In particular, the renter must return the vehicle together with its accessories and tools in the condition in which he/she took possession of it.
2. The renter shall be liable without limitation for the breaches of any statutory provisions, particularly for traffic and administrative offences, committed by them during the rental period. This also applies to breaches of statutory provisions or other regulations by the renter committed just as/at the time when the rental period ends, such as e.g. leaving a vehicle in payable parking lots without paying the appropriate charge, leaving the vehicle in no-parking zones or suchlike. The renter shall indemnify the lessor against any and all penalty and warning fines, fees and other costs, levied by the authorities or other bodies from the lessor because of any such breaches. As compensation for the lessor’s administrative costs incurred in handling enquiries put to it by the prosecution authorities or other third parties in order to investigate administrative offences, criminal offences or any nuisance committed during the rental period, the lessor shall receive from the renter a flat-rate amount of €50 (incl. VAT) for each such enquiry, unless the renter proves that the lessor incurred lower costs and/or loss; the lessor shall be at liberty to assert greater damages or loss.
3. Damage to brakes or clutch, damage caused during normal operation of the vehicle, and simple fracture damage do not constitute accident damage.
4. These provisions apply not only to the renter but also to the authorized driver, whereby, however, the contractual exemption from liability does not apply to unauthorized users of the rented vehicle.
Return of the vehicle
1. The renter is obliged to return the vehicle to the lessor at the end of the agreed rental period, at the agreed location and at the agreed time as stated in the contract.
2. In the event of any breach of the obligation to return the vehicle respectively applicable rental charges shall be charged up until the date when the vehicle is returned.
3. If the renter does not return the vehicle to the lessor after expiry of the agreed rental period, even if he is not at fault, the lessor shall be entitled to demand payment for use of the vehicle for the period exceeding the contractual term, at the rental rate shown at the company’s pricelist without any discounts.
1. The parties shall be entitled to terminate the rental contracts in accordance with the statutory provisions. The lessor may terminate the rental contracts extraordinarily for cause without notice. Such cause shall be deemed to include, in particular:
• Considerable deterioration of renter’s financial situation
• Dishonoured bank debits / cheques,
• Enforcement measures aimed against the renter,
• Lack of care of the vehicle or non satisfactory driving abilities,
• Improper and illegal use of the vehicle,
• Disregard of the regulations governing the use of motor vehicles for road haulage,
• If the renter uses a rental vehicle for or in conjunction with criminal actions.
2. If the lessor terminates a rental contract, the renter shall be obliged to surrender the vehicles, together with all accessories and all vehicle keys, immediately to the lessor.
Renter’s direct debit authorization
1. The renter irrevocably authorizes the lessor to debit all car rental costs and all other claims in connection with the rental contract from the credit card presented at the time when the rental contract is concluded, from the credit card specified in the rental contract or from the credit card subsequently presented or additionally specified by the lessor.
1. In the event of any dispute about the interpretation of the rental contract, the Cyprus law shall apply.
2. Only undisputed claims of the renter or of an authorized driver, or claims of the renter or of an authorized driver, which have become final and absolute, may be set off against claims of the lessor.
3. All rights and obligations arising out of this Agreement ensure to the benefit of and against the authorized driver.
4. If and in so far as no provision is contained in this Agreement, the regulations of the Cyprus Hire Risk Pool shall apply. This also applies to any ambiguities arising out of this Agreement.
5. Written form
6. There are no verbal side agreements. Any amendments must be made in writing.
Hire Period Extension
If there is a request to extend the hire period, at least a 72 hrs notice has to be given.
1. Always drive on the left hand side of the road and adhere to speed restrictions, which are in km per hour.
2. The wearing of seat belts is mandatory in all vehicles.
1. Please park carefully and with consideration and only in designated areas. Parking fees are the Renter's full responsibility. Avoid spaces behind buses, lorries or plant machinery.